Updated: Apr 28
With a title like that, I admit that I. Am. The. Worst.
But not when it comes to cooking! And that's what brings YOU here, right?
We've been extra lazy the past few days as pretty much all four kids are sick with your basic cough/snotty nose/ear infection business.
He's using my fetal heart rate monitor to make sure his "hawt is beating ok."
When kids are sick it means that I definitely need something easy, quick, and kid-friendly for dinner. One of my go-to meals? Italian Meatball Tortellini Soup!
Italian Meatball Tortellini Soup
-2 teaspoons olive oil
-1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
-2 32-oz boxes low sodium vegetable broth
-2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes (not drained)
-about 2 dozen precooked frozen Italian meatball, warmed and quartered
-about 19 oz fresh or frozen tortellini of your choice
-2-3 cups fresh baby spinach
-Grated mozzarella cheese for garnish (can omit)
I was going to upload a tutorial video to my YouTube channel but I deleted it off my phone. You can still catch it if you follow me on Facebook or Instagram (TheEverydayRD/The Everyday Dietitian).
1. Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil and garlic. Stir until it turns light golden brown.
2. Add boxes of broth, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Dump in can of tomatoes. Let simmer for a few minutes.
3. Now's the time to heat and cut up your meatballs. Add to soup.
4. Add in the frozen or fresh tortellini (if using frozen, add it right in- no need to preheat).
5. Lastly stir in the spinach and let cook a few minutes until wilted.
Makes 8 servings. Per serving: 260 calories, 34 grams carbohydrates, 16 grams fat, 17 grams protein, 804 mg sodium